What art materials should kids have at home?
Being able to choose their own paints, glues and scissors gives children the freedom to be creative at any time. LoLA has produced three beautiful wicker baskets (in collaboration with @edit58) to store a wide range of art materials, even in the smallest of spaces! There are two smaller baskets (with the word ‘ART’ woven on the outside in different colours: teal and pink), and one bigger one (our favourite) with a Pompom palette on the side – perfect for all those paints, pencils, brushes and inks that tend to be left strewn around the house.
Here is a list of the art materials that we like to keep at home for our own children:
• A set of markers (we love Giotto or Djeco, but there are lots of brands out there)
• A set of colouring pencils, the more colours the merrier (Winsor & Newton is what we are using at the moment)
• Chalk pastels
• Oil pastels
• A black marker (like a Sharpie)
• A pencil, a rubber and a sharpener
In a second small ART basket (pink!)
• PVA glue
• Glue sticks
• A ruler
• And a bag full of shiny extra materials – such as glitter, beads, confetti, feathers, etc
(We use Ikea bags for space-saving simplicity – they keep materials separate, visible and clean. But if you’d prefer a greener option, reusing old tins or pots from the recycling bin can also work well!)
In the large POMPOM PALETTE basket
• Big tubes of acrylic paint – including some fun colours like gold, silver, neon etc!
• Paintbrushes of different sizes and thicknesses, a pipette and some sponges
• Watercolour tubes (Seawhite’s range is our favourite, and we have included some in past LoLA boxes)
• An acrylic paint set
• Watercolour palette sets (Artist’s Loft has some fantastic choices)
• Paint sticks (Little Brian is a firm favourite with us)
• Pots of colourful inks (or liquid watercolours)
LoLA’s subscription boxes focus on a different art material each month, and the paints, pastels or watercolours included in each box can be used again and again. By the end of a year’s subscription, your child will have tried lots of different materials and their art baskets (or cupboards) will be filled with art supplies!
Have a look at the three-month, 12-month and every-other-month subscriptions here – at the moment, the summer offer gives 20% off for the full duration of a subscription. Simply enter the coupon code, SUMMER, at the checkout.Back to the main news page